Sunday, August 7, 2011

Our words

I believe in freedom of speech and don't support the efforts in recent decades to limit what is okay for us to say, what is politically correct. But I despise those who try to use the politically correct speech hammer against those they disagree with politically, while ignoring such standards when someone with whom they agree crosses these imaginary lines.

A lot of this occured in the recent fights over the debt and debt limit ceiling for the Federal Government. Tea Party congressmen and supporters were called terrorists and hostage takers and were said to be holding a gun to the country's head, all things their opponents would have screamed about if the tables were turned. MSNBC commentator Martin Bashir even had a psychologist and addiction expert on to tell us how Tea Party members are suffering psychosis and may well lash out like the recent Norway killer.

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but I don't happen to think words are actually as bad, and I draw the line more at someone really doing harm, like if someone tells others to go kill someone or the famous yelling fire in a crowded theater.

But I did think it was refreshing this week when someone who had called the Tea Party crowd terrorists, after being against such speech in the past, actually apologized. New York Times Business columnist Joe Nocera said that he agreed that he had been intemperate in his remarks and he apologized.

As for me, I just don't like hypocrisy. You say what you mean and mean what you say, and I will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment