Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Talking too much

Although I might agree with the core beliefs of some of the national talk show hosts, I have a couple disagreements with what they do at times while in the performance of 'their duties'. One is that they have to talk for so long each week, usually at least 15 hours, that they at times fall in love with their own voice, or at least give that impression. They bluster in the directions of their beliefs, and I am so put off, that I can clearly see why they would never be able to convince people who normally hold contrary beliefs, as they are so over the line that it is a euphoria born of their belief they have found "the truth" and can never be wrong or questioned. Perhaps this is the failing of being popular. But it is a failing, none the less.

My other complaint is how many of them have embraced the approach made popular by Paul Harvey and then Howard Stern, where they do the advertisements themselves, and strive to make you feel they are 'in love' with the company and their product and approach to doing business. This is meant to have you embrace and trust the company as you do the talk show host. For me, it does the opposite, as I trust the company and talk show host less. If this practice was rare, I might not feel this way. As the practice has become common, I have come to be irritated each time the ads are aired.

No comments:

Post a Comment